How does my student access Counseling Center services?
Information on how your student can make an appointment at the Counseling Center can be found on this website by using the following link: Making an Appointment
My daughter called me and sounds overwhelmed and stressed. What can she do?
Help your daughter by giving her time and attention to talk about her concerns. Listen to what she has to say without giving advice or making judgments. Let her know that you understand how challenging college can be. Ask her to stay in touch with you on a regular basis. If she continues to have difficulties adjusting or to feeling overwhelmed, direct her to the CC where she can talk to someone about her stress/stressors.
My son has stopped going to class and sounds depressed. What should he do?

Depression that lingers is likely to require professional intervention. Depression may be precipitated by a significant loss: loss of a loved one, loss of a special role in life, loss of physical ability due to illness or injury, loss of self esteem after failing to reach an important goal. Some common signs of depression include:

  • Persistent sadness, crying
  • Social withdrawal
  • Feeling hopeless, helpless, worthless
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Difficulty concentrating and remembering
  • Anger, irritability
  • Sleep/appetite problems

Professional staff is available every day. Please feel free to call the Counseling Center at (949) 824-6457 to speak to the counselor on call.

My daughter has a learning disability. Where can she get help on campus?

For more information, please contact the Disabilities Services Center to learn about services, including support for students with a diagnosed learning disability.

For supportive services, contact the Learning and Academic Resource Center

I think my son drinks too much. Where can I send him for help?

Awareness Test for Parents (Is my student using alcohol or drugs?):

  1. Has your student’s personality changed noticeably and are there inappropriate mood changes?
  2. Does your student seem to be losing old friends and hanging around a drinking or partying group?
  3. Is your son/daughter in trouble with the law?
  4. Are there signs of emotional or medical problems (e.g. ulcers, gastritis, liver problems, depression, overwhelming anxiety, suicide talk or gestures)?
  5. Do you detect physical signs such as alcohol on the breath, pupil change, redness in eyes, slurred speech, or staggering walk?
  6. Has your son/daughter’s sleeping or eating habits changed?
  7. Have your son/daughter’s relationships with family members deteriorated? Is s/he uncommunicative or withdrawn?
  8. Is your son/daughter concerned about his/her use of alcohol or other drugs, including marijuana?

If YES is the answer to several of these questions, then there are strong indications that your student may be in trouble with alcohol, marijuana, or other drugs. Be conscious, also, of your own prejudices, emotions, and attitudes influencing your answers.

For support and assistance, you can contact the following offices:

My son/daughter has disabling test anxiety and is on academic probation. What services are available on campus to address these concerns?

The Learning and Academic Resource Center is available to provide support, consultation, and education around these types of issues. Contact this office for more information.

The Counseling Center has counselors available to provide assistance with anxiety. In addition, there are support groups that can also prove beneficial in terms of reducing stress. Contact the Counseling Center for more information.

My son has difficulty with establishing and maintaining relationships. What do you suggest?

The Office of the Dean of Students offers students the opportunity to discover their leadership potential and helps students become involved in campus organizations.

The Anteater Recreation Center (the ARC) has various recreational opportunities and facilities on campus.

The Department of Undergraduate Education, provides information in order to get a better understanding of academic support and involvement opportunities available to students.

Reprinted with permission from University of Arizona, Office of Student Affairs, Counseling and Psychological Services for question/answer formatting and content ideas.