For Life Threatening Emergencies:
Or go to your nearest Emergency Room
For other crisis needs 24/7:
- Call UCI Counseling Center at (949) 824-6457
♦ Or 1-866-817-9842
♦ Text “Home” to 741741
- Call or text 9-8-8 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline at 9-8-8
- Call UCI Campus Police at
SHIP within California
Off-Campus Referrals for Students with SHIP
Instructions for Students Residing in California only.
1. Do you have a hard copy of your SHIP ID card or do you have your SHIP Insurance Card downloaded on your phone using the Sydney Health app?
- Please note that your SHIP insurance is Anthem Blue Cross PPO.
- From your mobile device or tablet: Go to App Store or Google Play and download the “Sydney Health” app.
- Register and view your electronic insurance card.
- If you need to download a copy of your SHIP insurance card,visit here for instructions.
2. Find therapy referrals:
- Set up an account with Welltrack Connect: https://uci.welltrack-connect.com/
- Please note you will have to create a login with an email address to access the full functionality of the directory.
- Once logged in to Welltrack Connect and you’re on the search results page, set the drop-down menu “In Network Insurance” to “Anthem” and make sure to select “APPLY” at the bottom right of the drop-down menu to accurately filter results.
- This will refine the results to only show you those therapists that are in-network with your SHIP plan, which is an Anthem Blue Cross PPO plan.
3. Contact therapists directly via WELLTRACK CONNECT:
The following is a script you can use as a guide when you message a therapist or if you choose to leave a voicemail with a therapist:
Hi, my name is _______.
I would like to start therapy with you to work on ______.
I am a student from UCI and have Anthem Blue Cross PPO insurance (your SHIP insurance).
I am available ______ (Days/Times of day).
My phone number is _______[repeat number twice if leaving a voicemail] and
I will be awaiting your call back within the week.
4. When the therapists call you back, you want to verify:
- They still accept Anthem Blue Cross PPO IN-NETWORK (if they speak of a ‘superbill’ or being ‘out-of-network’ this will cost a lot more money).
- If they are providing teletherapy and/or in-person services. (this may already be listed on their profile)
- Their schedule and availability (this may already be listed on their profile).
- You can schedule directly with them or let them know you will call them back if you’re unsure.
- When you schedule an appointment, obtain their address – including fax number if they have one.
5. Once you have an appointment scheduled, you need to contact the UCI Student Health Center Insurance Office to request a referral (also known as an authorization) to the provider or group practice you’ve selected.
You can call them at 949-824-2388 or you send a referral request securely via the patient portal.
Students must log into their patient portal and then follow these instructions:
- Select “Messages” on the left sidebar > select “New Message” > select “SHC – Insurance Department: Referral Request and Other General Inquires” > select “SHC – Referral Request”. Once the fields are populated click “Submit.”
- You will need to provide them with the name, address, phone number, and fax number (if they have one) of the therapist you are going to see. The Insurance Office will then send a referral to the therapist on your behalf.
**Please note that while most therapists and group practices require the authorization after an appointment is made, some group practices require the authorization in advance of scheduling an appointment. In this case you can use the name of the group practice.**
6. During your first appointment expect there to be some intake paperwork
(or the therapist may send it to you ahead of time).
- There is NO copay for individual therapy with SHIP for the 2022-2023 school year!
- Please note if you want to try a different provider within a group practice you do not need a new authorization. If you pick a new group practice or a new individual provider you will need a new authorization/referral.
- If you have further questions about find a long-term therapist off-campus you are encouraged to contact the Counseling Center main line at 949-824-6457 and request a Referral and Resource Support appointment for assistance.
- Another option for finding a therapist is by visiting https://www.anthem.com/ca/find-doctor/ however, this site is not as efficient as using WELLTRACK CONNECT.
- For urgent matters please call the Counseling Center at (949) 824-6457, and if it’s after hours or on weekends, press option 2 to reach the after-hours crisis line. For emergencies, call 911 or the UCI Campus Police at (949) 824-5223.
Weathering the Weather
It is getting closer to the holiday break and the end is in sight! Soon we will be with family and friends and getting some much-needed relaxation after the start to the quarter! Phew!
While this time can be something to look forward to, it is important to still be aware of caring for your mental health. Here are some things to consider as we reach the end of the year!
Summer is a great time to reflect on all the things you have done and learned along the way, and to also consider what areas you would like to grow into as you transition into the next academic year.
Take time to reflect, and perhaps even journal out your thoughts:
How to Improve Relationship with Food
Are you struggling with your relationship with food? In honor of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week that occurs Feb. 21st- Feb. 27th here are 7 tips that will help you improve your relationship with food:
1. Be aware that there are NO “good” foods and “bad” foods. All foods provide nutrition and sustenance to the body and our bodies need protein, carbohydrate, fiber, and even sugar and fat to survive. All foods are good if you eat a variety of foods to get all of the nutrients that you need in moderation….