For Life Threatening Emergencies:
Or go to your nearest Emergency Room
For other crisis needs 24/7:
- Call (949) 824-6457 and select Option # 2
♦ Or 1-866-817-9842
♦ Text “Home” to 741741
SHIP outside of California
Off-Campus Referrals for Students with SHIP
Currently Living OUT-OF-STATE or OUTSIDE of the U.S.
1. Do you have a hard copy of your SHIP ID card or do you have your SHIP Insurance Card downloaded on your phone?
- Please note that your SHIP insurance is Anthem Blue Cross PPO.
- From your mobile device or tablet: Go to App Store or Google Play and download the “Sydney Health” app.
- Register and view your electronic insurance card.
- If you need to download a copy of your SHIP insurance card, visit here for instructions.
2. Find therapy (and/or psychiatry referrals):
- Set up an account with Welltrack Connect: https://welltrack-connect.com/
- Please note you will have to create a login with an email address to access the full functionality of the directory. Once logged in to Welltrack Connect and you’re on the search results page, set the drop-down menu “In Network Insurance” to “Anthem” and make sure to select “APPLY” at the bottom right of the drop-down menu to accurately filter results. This will refine the results to only show you those therapists that are in-network with your SHIP plan, which is an Anthem Blue Cross PPO plan.
- Visit the following web page to view the informational flyer: https://shc.uci.edu/sites/default/files/UC-SHIP-global-core-flyer.pdf
- Visit https://www.bcbs.com/
- Click on “find a doctor”
- Choose between the US or international, then follow instructions from there.
3. Call or Message the therapists directly:
The following is a phone script you can use as a guide if you need to message or leave a voicemail when contacting a therapist:
Hi, my name is _______.
I would like to start therapy with you to work on ______.
I am a student from UCI and have Anthem Blue Cross PPO insurance (your SHIP insurance).
I am available ______ (Days/Times of day).
My phone number is _______[repeat number twice] and I will be awaiting your call back within the week.
When the therapists call you back, you want to verify:
- They still accept Anthem Blue Cross PPO IN-NETWORK (if they speak of a ‘superbill’ or being ‘out-of-network’ this will cost a lot more money).
- If they are providing teletherapy and/or in person services
- Their specialties and if it’s a match with your needs
- Their schedule and availability
- You can schedule directly with them or let them know you’ll call them back if you’re unsure.
- When you schedule an appointment, obtain their address – including fax number if they have one – for step 4.
4. Once you have an appointment scheduled, you need to contact the UCI Student Health Center Insurance Office to request a referral (also known as an authorization) to the provider or group practice you’ve selected.
You can call them at 949-824-2388 or you send a referral request securely via the patient portal.
Students must log into their patient portal and then follow these instructions:
- Select “Messages” on the left sidebar > select “New Message” > select “SHC – Insurance Department: Referral Request and Other General Inquires” > select “SHC – Referral Request”. Once the fields are populated click “Submit.”
- You will need to provide them with the name, address, phone number, and fax number (if they have one) of the therapist you are going to see. The Insurance Office will then send a referral to the therapist on your behalf.
**Please note that while most therapists and group practices require the authorization after an appointment is made, some group practices require the authorization in advance of scheduling an appointment. In this case you can use the name of the group practice.**
5. During your first in-person appointment expect there to be some intake paperwork
(or the therapist may send it to you ahead of time).
Things to Remember:
- There is NO copay for outpatient mental health services with SHIP for the 2022/2023 school year.
- Please make sure your voicemail box is setup and you’re able to retrieve messages.
- Email communication is not confidential. Making a phone call or using secure message via Welltrack Connect or the health portal is a better way to protect your confidentiality.
- Please note if you want to try a different provider, you will need to contact the UCI Student Health Center Insurance Office again prior to seeing a second provider and complete a new referral. Each provider requires a separate referral form.
- If you are outside California and need urgent mental health support, please go to
(Allow the website a few minutes to load, and then you can search for crisis numbers by your state.)
It is getting closer to the holiday break and the end is in sight! Soon we will be with family and friends and getting some much-needed relaxation after the start to the quarter! Phew!
While this time can be something to look forward to, it is important to still be aware of caring for your mental health. Here are some things to consider as we reach the end of the year!
Summer is a great time to reflect on all the things you have done and learned along the way, and to also consider what areas you would like to grow into as you transition into the next academic year.
Take time to reflect, and perhaps even journal out your thoughts:
Are you struggling with your relationship with food? In honor of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week that occurs Feb. 21st- Feb. 27th here are 7 tips that will help you improve your relationship with food:
1. Be aware that there are NO “good” foods and “bad” foods. All foods provide nutrition and sustenance to the body and our bodies need protein, carbohydrate, fiber, and even sugar and fat to survive. All foods are good if you eat a variety of foods to get all of the nutrients that you need in moderation….